Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Turn your ”but” around…

I had an interesting conversation with one of my children yesterday. I was explaining a certain problem in math to her.  Every time that I said, “you can do this”, she said….”but” and added some reason that she couldn’t.  I was trying to get her to speak what she wanted to have. (Mk 11) I said, “Say this is easy for me!”.  She would repeat after me and then say “but”… 

I think that when we say the word “but”…you can pretty much forget whatever we just said.  Ex.  I would like to go to the park, “but”…  (meaning: I won’t be going to the park)  We say things like, “I know that God can heal  “but” … 

We are getting this principle turned around.  What we should be saying is, “I feel bad “but” Jesus…   or “my bank account isn’t what I wanted “but” God… 

I want to make sure that I don’t negate the things that I really want from God by saying I know that God can do anything “but”…  When I find myself in this situation again, I will teach my daughter to say, “this math problem seems hard to me, “but” God is helping me learn it anyway.”

No comments: